Savory Cheese Pistachio Biscotti
Yield: About 60 biscuits Time: 1½ hours plus 20 minutes cooling
- 2 ¼ cup flour, more for kneading
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 ¾ cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup lightly toasted shelled Organic Santa Barbara Pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and pepper together.
- Using an electric mixer with whisk beaters beat whole eggs until tick, light and creamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1½ cups cheese. Fold in flour mixture and mix to form soft dough. Knead briefly, adding a little more flour if needed. Form into a flattened square. Press pistachios into dough. Fold dough over nuts and knead again, briefly, to distribute nuts. Divide dough in two and roll each piece into a log about 15 inches long.
- Beat egg yolk and brush on logs. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake about 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool about 20 minutes. Slice logs on an angle about ½ inch thick. Stand slices up, not touching, on baking sheet and return to oven. Bake until firm and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Let cool.
- To make ahead: Biscotti made more than a day in advance can be stored in a plastic bag. They may soften slightly and can be refreshed at 300 degrees for 7 minutes.