Pistachio Onion Cheese
With cheese, the nuts make a flavorful spread
Recipe type: Appetiser
Serves: 2 cups
- 1 ½ pounds (about 3 large) onions, chopped
- 1 package (8 oz.) Neufchatel (light cream) cheese
- 1 cup chopped roasted, salted shelled Organic Santa Barbara Pistachios
- About 1 ¾ cups regular strength chicken broth
- Crackers or baguette slices
- In a 10 to 12 inch frying pan over high heat, boil onions and ¾ cups broth, uncovered, until liquid evaporates and onions start to brown; stir often.
- Stir in ¼ cup broth to release browned bits, and boil dry again. Repeat until onions are rich brown, 2 or 3 more times; cool.
- Mix the onions with cheese and nuts. If made ahead, cover and chill up to 4 days. Spread on crackers.