Pistachio Jack Meltaways
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped, shelled Organic Santa Barbara Pistachios toasted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 tablespoon (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
- ½ lb (8 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese shredded (2 to 2 ½ cups loosely packed)
- ¼ cup half and half
- Mix the flour, nuts, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl or in the food processor. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add the cheese and mix until the cheese is coated evenly.
- Slowly add enough of the half and half to form a dough that will hold together in a cohesive ball.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions for rolling. On a floured surface or pastry cloth, roll out to about ¼ inch thick. Whit a sharp knife, cut the dough into 2 inch squares and arrange them on an ungreased baking sheet. Make sure the edges are not touching.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Don’t let these Meltaways get more than medium brown. Cool them on a rack.